“I Can’t Believe it’s Not Cream” Whipped Cream!!

June 29, 2014

"Real" whipped cream!!

“Real” whipped cream!!

All of this time I have been trying to work out a cream that will whip that is dairy free. I have tried coconut cream, mock cream, butter frosting, nut frosting, you name it, I’ve had a go! Do you know that saying: “You can’t see the forest for the trees?” Yep, well, I needed to stop and think about the very nature of cream and start from scratch. As usual, I was over-complicating it.

Dairy cream has a milk fat content of between 36 and 40 percent. Double cream has 48% butterfat and it is the fat molecule that incorporates the air to double the volume when whipped.

When you first begin whipping cream, millions of tiny air bubbles get whisked into the liquid. The cream becomes frothy and lightens. If you stopped whisking now, the bubbles would eventually work their way out and the cream would become a uniform liquid again.

I did this in a stand mixer

I did this in a stand mixer

But if you keep whipping, something more happens. Bubbles are still getting whisked into the liquid, but now the action of the whisk also starts stripping away the protective outer membranes on the fat globules. This allows the fat to join together and gradually form protective bubbles around the tiny pockets of air to create an emulsion. Whip too much and the fat molecules accumulate together and separate from the water molecules and you will end up with butter! If there is less fat, the globules are stretched too thin and it is harder for it to become stable.

Colder cream is easier and better (resulting in more volume)  to whip as the cold keeps the fat molecules solid.

So how do we do this without dairy, you ask? You can use any “milk” as long as you incorporate enough fat! While nut milks have some naturally occurring fat, the fat content is less than milk and the fat structure is different. In order to incorporate extra fat into a nut milk it needs to be “homogenised” by cooking.

Commercial milk homogenisation is accomplished by forcing milk at high pressure through small holes to break up the fat cells. It is a tool of the milk industry to unify the quality and flavour but is known to compromise the nutritional value of milk. Some people would argue that this is part of the cause of some milk allergies.

Cooking the fat into the nut milk is a much more gentle way of homogenising – and quicker!

Now, which fat?

I admit, ghee or butter tastes better than coconut oil. Both coconut oil and tallow work but have their own flavour. You could mask this if sweetening of flavouring with vanilla.

Most people who have a dairy sensitivity are reacting to the lactose (sugar) or casein (protein) in the milk. Butter has less than .8% of lactose and can be tolerated by lots of lactose-sensitive people, whereas ghee has no lactose content at all. Butter has approximately 1% of casein (depending on the cow) whereas ghee has none. If you can tolerate ghee or butter, this whipped cream will be the closest thing you will find to real whipped cream as it has the best flavour!

I made this with home-made almond milk as it has the most neutral flavour. Any nut milk will work although home-made is much better as it doesn’t contain any gums or sugars. I taste-tested this cream on 4 unsuspecting people and they all assured me they were tasting real cream. There is no after-taste, no texture, just wonderful mouth feel cream!! I am so excited!! You can keep it dairy free and vegan if you use coconut oil and nut milk. Keep it nut-free by using ghee and rice milk!

150g nut milk
150g unsalted butter or ghee
1/4 teas lecithin (optional)

Cook the butter and nut milk at 80°C on SP 3 for 4 minutes with the MC tilted. Blend on SP 8 for 30 seconds. Pour into a glass jar or dish and refrigerate overnight.
Cream emulsified and ready to refrigerate

Cream emulsified and ready to refrigerate

You can keep the cream like this for several days and even just use it for cooking. It makes great carbonara!
When ready to whip, return the “cream” to the TM bowl with butterfly and whip on SP 4 until increased in volume. Alternatively, whip the cream in a stand mixer to get light fluffy whipped cream.

Tips
  • Make sure the cream is very cold and the TM bowl or mixer bowl is cold.
  • Don’t use salted butter – it will be awful!
  • The cream should not separate and look like normal dairy cream after resting.
  • Nut cream will whip quicker than dairy cream so keep a close eye on it.
  • The lecithin will help keep the cream from “falling” for longer but is optional.
  • I made the cream and it lasted for 2 days before “falling”.
I'm going to be putting this on EVERYTHING!

I’m going to be putting this on EVERYTHING!

This cream is easily over mixed which will turn it grainy so add sugar or flavours at the start of whipping to prevent over mixing.

I like to sweeten it with a bit of stevia and vanilla. I’ll post a new recipe for a flavoured cream very soon – stay tuned!

Advertisements
  1. October 19, 2016 3:44 am

This looks great but are you able to explain the process easier? I don’t understand what “Cook the butter and nut milk at 80°C on SP 3 for 4 minutes with the MC tilted. Blend on SP 8 for 30 seconds.” Are you coking and blending at the same time? What does SP and MC mean? Also “When ready to whip, return the cream to the TM bowl with butterfly and whip on SP 4 until increased in volume”…what is TM bowl with butterfly?? Thanks!

• October 21, 2016 12:49 pm

SP – speed, MC – measure cup. The Thermomix is able to cook and stir and blend at the same time. Check out Thermomix.com.au

2. Amy permalink
    October 15, 2016 12:00 pm

I can not WAIT to try this! Thank you thank you thank you!

3. winnie permalink
    December 27, 2015 6:38 pm

can i use normal cooking oil in lieu of butter/ ghee?

4. Susie permalink
    September 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Hello please tell me I need dairy free and nut free what can I use? Thank you!

5. July 16, 2014 7:19 pm

My cream separated in the fridge… Can I fix it? I used coconut oil not butter…. Help please!!!

• July 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi Jo, did it separate within a few hours or straight away? I would try whipping it again with a teas of lecithin or gelatine to stabilise it. The mix needs to very cold when you whip it. I have kept mine in the fridge for a week and it does eventually separate but I pour the liquid off and use it anyway. Real cream will fall and separate too after this time.

• July 16, 2014 8:32 pm

It separated as it started to cool… Not whipped it yet… No lecithin but what amount of gelatine should I use??

• July 16, 2014 8:34 pm

That doesn’t sound right. Are you using homemade almond milk? Use 1 teaspoon of gelatine and cook it again.

• July 16, 2014 8:36 pm

I used home made cashew milk…. Ok will try again soon thx Sarah

• July 16, 2014 8:37 pm

That should be fine.

• July 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Will let you know how I go! Should I melt it first? It’s kinda solidified in the fridge…

• July 19, 2014 9:16 am

no I wouldnt, just beat it up!

• July 16, 2014 9:24 pm

Nope it’s getting a layer of oil on top that will solidify as it cools … Any ideas?? I used the deodorised coconut oil to help with the taste factor…
        I could try nuttelex but it has such a strong flavour…. I guess it’s time to challenge some butter and see how I go….

• July 19, 2014 9:15 am

Hmm, I haven’t had this happen – perhaps reduce the amount of coconut oil by 10%. I will have an experiment and see if it happens to me…

• July 22, 2014 8:27 am

It kinda whipped up ok looks good but it’s really solid in the fridge… The intial taste is coconut oil then yummy cream… It’s weird

6. July 4, 2014 5:23 pm

Reblogged this on HealthyTaxi and commented:
    Sahne ohne Milch, selber machen! Sarah stellt auf ihrem Blog nicht nur das “Wie” sondern auch das “Warum” vor – allerdings auf englisch.
    Das Rezept:
    150g Kokosmilch / Mandelmilch / Sojamilch
    150g Butter / Ghee / Kokosöl
    optional: 4 Tropfen Lecithin
    Auf 80°C köcheln und dabei ca. 5 Minuten mit dem Pürierstab mixen. Jetzt hätte man eine prima Kochsahne für Carbonara usw. Für Schlagsahne einfach über Nacht im Kühlschrank lassen und in einer kalten Schüssel aufschlagen. Achtung: Nussmilch wird wohl schneller zu Butter als Kuhmilch. Natürlich kann man mit etwas Vanille oder Stevia den Geschmack verfeinern.

• July 5, 2014 8:14 am

danke Melanie! Ich hoffe, es gefällt euch!

• July 7, 2014 7:10 pm

Your blog is awesome, it’d be stupid not to reblog at least some of your entries 😉 Thank YOU!

7. July 1, 2014 1:20 pm

I am deeply impressed!

8. July 1, 2014 7:53 am

I have tried this and it’s amazing you are genius! Mine was quite finicky I have a.kitchenaid stand mixer just wondering if maybe I should use a lower speed with the whisk attachment? I used 8 but thinking this was too high? Any suggestions? TIA!

9. Cathy permalink
    June 29, 2014 12:41 pm

Well done Sarah

Sent from my iPad

10. Anonymous permalink
    June 29, 2014 11:49 am

this isn’t dairy free, it has butter in it 🙂

• June 30, 2014 1:26 pm

I realise that but in my post I offer alternatives and mention about being lactose and casein sensitive!!

11. June 29, 2014 11:30 am

Wow I am impressed just wondering what sp and mc stand for ?

12. Gina Hughes permalink
    June 29, 2014 11:21 am

You are totally amazing! xo