Fantabulous Gluten Free Bread Revisited

June 27, 2013

gfb2

I just wanted to revisit this bread after my last post as I had so many comments regarding the versatility of this recipe. I had a few people asking about substituting the cornflour for something else and I tested using buckwheat which, *NEWSFLASH* I think, makes a better bread!!!

So try this rendition and let me know which recipe you prefer!

230g white rice
190g tapioca flour
130g buckwheat
2 tabs potato starch
1 tab xantham gum
2 tabs linseeds (I used golden linseeds)
1 rounded teas salt
1 scant tab instant yeast
4 eggs, room temperature
60g olive or macadamia oil
40g honey or maple syrup
450g very warm (almost hot) water
1 tab apple cider vinegar or lemon juice

Mill the rice, buckwheat and linseeds on SP10 for 2 minutes. Check that it is fine.
Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix on SP 6 for 5 seconds to combine well.
Add the wet ingredients and mix on SP 6 for 10 – 15 seconds, pressing reverse once or twice to fully incorporate.

The mix will be quite wet, scoop into 2 lined loaf tins and rest in a warm place for 1 hour**. Don’t over fill the tins as the wet mix will overflow. I use my dehydrator for proving and it does a fantastic job in cold weather. It will double in size, so wait for that to happen.

Bake for 45 minutes in a 170ºC oven. For a softer loaf, put a bowl of water in the bottom of the oven. Otherwise it will be crusty which is how I like it.

** If you prove this more slowly, you will get a denser bread with smaller air bubbles. I think that my air bubbles are a bit too big in this loaf.

1. Nardi permalink
    April 11, 2017 7:16 pm

Have you tried this to add some seeds or grains? My family love the taste but we also like a grainy bread. Just wondering if I can finds a happy medium. Thanks.

2. Ange permalink
    July 19, 2016 6:58 pm

How did you get your bread to look so nice and white? Mine was quite a bit darker in comparison. I’m assuming it’s due to the buckwheat?

• July 24, 2016 5:09 pm

I used activated buckwheat but I don’t think that would make much difference and I also used golden linseeds which would make a difference in colour

3. February 10, 2016 12:07 am

This bread had a great flavour but didn’t rise almost at all. Any ideas what I might’ve done wrong? Thanks

• February 11, 2016 7:29 pm

I would definitely test your yeast by placing a teaspoon in a cup of tepid water and leaving in a warm place. After a few hours it should be bubbling

4. February 9, 2016 11:12 pm

I’m sure it was something I did but my bread never rises. I don’t have a thermomix so
    Only just a handmixer but it barely rose at all. Any ideas where I’m getting it wrong? My yeast is in date and stored in the freezer

• February 11, 2016 7:28 pm

How long are you proving for Em? At what temperature? Are you using fresh or instant yeast?

• February 11, 2016 7:29 pm

Using a hand mixer shouldn’t make any difference at all

5. Kristy permalink
    October 4, 2015 11:25 am

Hello. I plan on making thus brewed this afternoon. Can you use brown rice??? Also can you sub xanthum gum for anything else?
    Thanks

• October 4, 2015 11:26 am

You can but it will be a much firmer loaf. It will not have the same soft texture but will still taste good! Xanthan can be substituted for guar gum.

6. Kylie permalink
    February 9, 2015 2:54 pm

This bread is AMAZING! I have just baked it and eaten it and it is by far the best gluten free bread I have ever tasted. My daughter is going to so happy – thank you!