A Fantabulous Gluten Free White Bread

June 10, 2013

Fabulous Gluten Free Bread

Fabulous Gluten Free Bread

I’m soooo excited about this recipe! I think that it will be a hit for those who have gluten-free children who struggle with a decent gluten-free sandwich bread. I think it will be a hit for those looking to make a decent GF bread of their own!

I have tested this recipe several times during the past week, and I think it’s fantastic. It’s not doughy or “ricey” or tough. It has a lovely spongy texture without being rubbery. It forms a great crunchy crust…..AND it tastes great! It got the tick of approval from my “anti-gluten-free” husband – and he’s a tough nut to crack when it comes to bread!!

Soft not crumbly

Soft not crumbly

Based on rice and tapioca, it definitely is not paleo friendly. This is a shame because I love this bread and will have to regard it only as a treat as it is filled with starch (albeit safe?!) which ultimately equals sugar in my book. But, I can’t wait to make it for my coeliac friend whom I am visiting next weekend. The recipe makes two loaves, feel free to halve it if you wish – but you’ll wish you didn’t!!

I’m not going to waffle on about it any further, just make this bread and tell me what you think!!

230g rice (I used a mix* of brown & white but either is fine)
130g tapioca flour
170g cornflour (maize)
1 tab potato starch
1 tab xantham gum
2 tabs linseeds (I used golden linseeds)
1 rounded teas salt
1 scant tab instant yeast
3 eggs, room temperature**
60g olive or macadamia oil
40g honey or maple syrup
450g very warm water
1 tab apple cider vinegar or lemon juice

Mill the rice and linseeds on SP10 for 80 seconds.
Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix on SP 6 for 5 seconds to combine well.
Add the wet ingredients and mix on SP 6 for 10 – 15 seconds, pressing reverse once or twice to fully incorporate.

The mix will be quite wet, pour into 2 lined loaf tins and rest in a warm place for 1 hour***. Don’t over fill the tins as the wet mix will overflow. I use my dehydrator for proving and it does a fantastic job in this weather. It will double in size, so wait for that to happen.

Bake for 45 minutes in a 170ºC oven. You can put a bowl of water in the bottom of the oven if you wish – I tried it both ways, with & without and I got a crustier loaf in a dry oven.

Make it Crusty or not so crusty by adding steam to the oven

Make it Crusty or not so crusty by adding steam to the oven

After cooking, remove from the tin after 5 minutes as it will sweat as it cools. Leave to cool before slicing. IF YOU CAN RESIST!!!

* The rice mix I used was about 60/40 white/brown. Next time I’m going to try all brown rice for a bit more “bite”.

** Or substitute the 3 eggs for 3 tabs of ground linseeds + 180g water + 1 tab oil

*** If you prove this more slowly, you will get a denser bread with smaller air bubbles. I think that my air bubbles are a bit too big in this loaf.

Slather with butter!!

Slather with butter!!

1. Robin permalink
    May 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Coming to the party late here, lol. I made this tonight but had to go out so it didn’t get enough time in the oven. It had sunk a little by the time I got home due to the fact that it hadn’t cooked through. However, I baked it a bit more and it tastes wonderful! Thank you for this recipe. Fantabulous indeed! I don’t have cornflour so subbed with some sorghum and arrowroot (which is much the same as tapioca, I think). I don’t usually eat after dinner and before going to bed but I ended up eating 2 slices! It’s really good. Hubby likes it too and has requested it for lunch tomorrow.
    Thanks to Mel for the suggestion to make fruit bread. Oh boy!

• August 6, 2017 7:49 am

Thanks for your positive comment Robin, Im glad you enjoyed it!

2. Nicki permalink
    February 19, 2017 9:39 pm

I followed your recipe to the t and my mix was very think a bit like donut mix and it didn’t rise and what very heavy tastied good second time I tried I added more water but was the same result could you add a pic of how the consistency of the mix should look like

3. Des permalink
    December 2, 2016 12:38 pm

Is it possible to get this recipe in non-metric equations? I would love to make this. It looks and sounds wonderful.

4. Suraby permalink
    October 29, 2016 6:07 pm

The best gluten free bread I have made!!! Thank you! My grand kids are GF and they loved it ( so did I ). I didn’t change the recipe at all. 👍🏻

5. Pat permalink
    October 22, 2016 1:07 pm

H my goodness Sarah, I baked your awesome bread recipe again tonight and followed your instructions to the letter and the bread looks just like yours! I used a large metal loaf pan instead of 2 small pans. I am glad I used parchment paper to line the pan and extended the heighth of my pan because it rose very high. In fact it rose higher than any GF bread that I have ever made. I do not have a dehydrator but I took a large cake keeper with the large dome lid, and put my heating pad on the bottom with a wet tea towel and used a thermometer to get the temperature to 89 degrees F. I put the pan on top of the wet towel and closed the dome lid over it. I checked if in 25 minutes and it had already doubled in size. I placed it in my preheated 325 degree oven. It took 1 hour and 45 minutes to reach 110 degree internal temperature. It baked a beautiful golden color just like yours and so pretty and white with just enough airy holes to make it soft and tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. It was not wet or soggy at all. After an hour on the rack we just had to cut a slice and taste it. We put some Kerri Gold butter on it and it was heavenly, My hubby said this is the best one I have ever made and we both feel we do not have to search anymore for another sandwich bread recipe. We do not eat bread very much at all because we follow a Paleo diet but once a week we like some toast or a nice sandwich. I will slice the bread in the morning and freeze most of it to use as we need it. I am planning to make some hamburger rolls tomorrow using your recipe to see how they turn out. Once again, thank you from the bottom of our hearts for sharing your wonderful recipe with us! I have researched the Thermamix machine today and found that one on Amazon.com is $1,500 Which is way out of our budget as we are in our middle to late 60’s and pastor a small church in KY. We have placed this on our wish list and who knows, we might own one of these incredible machines one day! Take care dear and keep cooking up those wonderful recipes. I have been looking at your recipes tonight and there are several dishes that we are going to attempt to prepare! Thanks again and God bless you and your precious family!

• October 23, 2016 12:00 pm

So happy to hear you liked it Pat and it was a success!! I have a new brioche recipe I am working on which I think is even more fantabulous!! Stay tuned for the recipe!!

6. Pat permalink
    October 10, 2016 11:21 am

Hi Sarah, what beautiful looking GF bread! I was diagnosed with Celiac and I have been in a quest to find the perfect GF white sandwich bread. So far I have wasted lots of money on ingredients as the recipes that I have found or purchased on the Internet have ended up in the garbage. When I saw your bread, I decided I would try one last time. I had all the ingredients but I do not have a special machine like you have so I used the 230 grams of white rice flour. I have a large kitchen aid mixer with a paddle so it worked out just fine. The dough was very thick like thick batter so I thought I needed to add ab little water since you said the dough would be very wet and pourable. I added 1/4 cup warm water. I followed your instructions exactly except for the added water. It rose to the top of the pan and when I baked the loaves I put them right on the cooling racks and went back to see how they were cooling and saw that the bread sank to half their size. They were not the nice golden color like your picture and the inside was not white and airy like yours. It tastes great, but somewhat wet. I want to try to bake the bread again but I wondered if you could explain how thick the dough is and what you might be able to tell me to do differently. We both loved the flavor of the bread just not the texture. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. God bless! Pat

• October 10, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi pat. I would make it again but not add the extra water. Different brands of flour vary greatly in their density so all glutenfree recipes require an amount of experimentation depending on your flours. It also sounds like you didn’t cook it for long enough. I have quite a fast oven. I’m sure you will get a better result next time!!

• pdowning1951@gmail.com permalink
        October 10, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks Sarah for such a speedy response! You are probably right about the water. It was one of those judgment calls that went awry! LOL! I was regretting putting the extra water as soon as I did it because I was planning not to go right by the directions. My stove is a new Frigidaire brand and it is about a year old. I am going to get an oven temperature device to check to make sure it is working properly. Like I said, the bread tastes wonderful, it is just quiet moist and very small. It is well worth experimenting until I get it right!. It is an awesome recipe, one if the best GF bread recipes so far for white sandwich bread.

• October 13, 2016 4:35 pm

Thanks for commenting Pat, and remember, there’s never any harm in experimenting, that’s how some of my best recipes are born!!

7. Arnell permalink
    September 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Ok. 170 C is about 338 degrees F. I only have 325 or 350 on my oven. which should I use?

8. Kathleen Risa permalink
    September 11, 2016 3:17 am

I really want to try your recipe, but am scared I will waste ingredients. Really confusing to us “silly United States” people. To us corn flour is milled whole corn that is finer than corn meal; and corn starch is the finest, white powdery grind.

In one reply I am happy because I have the exact “corn flour” it requires:
    Sarah on June 29, 2015 at 6:32 pm
    Hi rochelle, SP = speed. Cornflour is the same as corn starch or corn maize. Cutting the honey down by half won’t affect the mix at all, you do need to feed the yeast though so don’t omit it. Proving slowly means at a cooler temperature for longer. It gives a better flavour as the yeast develops. Hope it goes well. Bread making is definitely an art, practice makes perfect !!

Then reading further down, find this reply, and am not sure what to use:
    Sarah on June 27, 2013 at 11:33 am
    Hi Jane

Check that you are using tapioca flour and potato STARCH not flour as it is much heavier. Are you milling your cornflour too? The cornflour that we buy is really cornstarch – that’s what you need..

I really want to try your recipe. Can you clarify which “silly United States” ingredients I should use?

• September 11, 2016 8:20 am

Hi Kathleen
      Sorry for the confusion! As far as I know in American terms, I mean: cornstarch, tapioca starch & potato starch. All starches which are fine white powders that thicken. In the process of manufacturing them, starches are generally made by cooking and then drying and then milling the product where flours are usually raw and just milled! Now I have probably confused you further!! Gluten free flour mixes usually have a component of flours plus starches to lighten the finished crumb.

9. Linda permalink
    May 5, 2016 2:01 am

I am in the US and would love to try this recipe but I don’t have a scale. Do you happen to have the approximate measures of the ingredients?

10. Beverley permalink
    April 19, 2016 4:58 am

I have tried this recipe twice now and it is the best gluten free bread I have ever tasted. My wheat intolerant 7 year old daughter loves it and says it tastes just like real bread. It is delicious toasted. If you are thinking about making this bread – don’t hesitate!

11. Mel permalink
    April 17, 2016 3:35 pm

Kids love this bread! Easy to make, I split loaf and make one was fruit bread – with 2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp mixed spice and about a handful of dried fruit!

12. Kathy Mitchell permalink
    March 30, 2016 12:21 am

Please tell me what SP means in the milling and mixing lines? SP??? Thx.

• March 31, 2016 8:23 pm

SP is short for speed. My recipes are designed for Thermomix users but can easily be adapted to non-Thermomix users.

13. debbie essay permalink
    December 4, 2015 10:02 pm

I know this is years later……..but could you translate into us measurements Please? I just found your recipe………..thanks
    Debbie

• December 13, 2015 9:53 am

When making bread, weather conditions and age really affect the outcome so I always use weight to measure my ingredients. There’s too much variable using cup measurements.

14. Arnell permalink
    November 7, 2015 12:50 am

Is you Thermie the same as my Vitamix?

• November 10, 2015 4:09 pm

No. But both are high power blenders but the Thermomix can also cook and steam and culture and stir very slowly.

15. Sharon permalink
    October 19, 2015 6:48 am

Hi I want to use white rice flour that is already milled (store bought). What measurement would that be? Any idea? I don’t have a Thermomix either, so I’m hoping it will work if I mix using an electric bench top mixer. I make another bread that way.

• October 22, 2015 8:59 am

Pre packaged white rice flour will work gram for gram!! ie. 100g rice = 100g rice flour!

• Sharon permalink
        October 22, 2015 12:45 pm

Yes I realised that after I posted the question. Brain fog. Dah!

16. catsrus3 permalink
    October 12, 2015 2:07 pm

What is (or are) linseeds? I think I can figure out the rest but that has me puzzled! Also, what’s a Thermie?

• October 13, 2015 3:33 pm

linseed is another name for flax. Thermie is an affectionate name for Thermomix!

17. Alecia wenger permalink
    October 8, 2015 1:22 pm

Have you ever made it in a bread machine?

• October 8, 2015 9:19 pm

No I haven’t, but I don’t think it’s necessary as there is no kneading required. It would sort of be like making a cake in a bread machine! Try it and let me know!!

18. Tammy permalink
    September 7, 2015 4:44 pm

I made this and hte inside came out brown despite using more white rice than brown it was spongy though and tasty but like all GF breads they font really rise much

• September 9, 2015 8:59 am

That’s interesting – did you use golden linseeds as brown linseeds will certainly change the colour. I find that this mix rises a lot – did you prove the dough in a warm place? Perhaps I would check your yeast.

19. August 31, 2015 5:55 pm

About the GF white bread, what can I substitute in replace of the corn flour and potato starch? I cannot have either of those.

• September 4, 2015 4:07 pm

Try tapioca but each starch has its own merit, and a mix is good

20. Chel permalink
    July 8, 2015 11:41 am

Can I use a bread machine instead of the oven?

• July 8, 2015 12:17 pm

Sure – I would be interested to know how it turns out. There is not any kneading required so you could probably omit that step.

21. Rochelle Manel permalink
    June 29, 2015 1:28 am

Can’t wait to try your GF bread recipe but need some help with: ( Proofing slowly ) does that mean for a shorter period of time? I like your large air bubbles… ( SP ) does this refer to mixer speed? … (Cornflour Maize ). I have corn starch. Is it the same? I am diabetic and would like cut back on the honey by half. Do I need to replace the liquid with something else? I like my bread with seeds or nuts eg: sunflower, poppy, fine walnuts, sesame, etc…. Do I need to adjust your recipe if I add seeds or nuts? Sorry so many questions but haven’t had much success with my GF bread and yours looks perfect . Exactly what I’m looking for…

• June 29, 2015 6:32 pm

22. Lauren permalink
    February 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Yummo! Thanks for the recipe. Finally gluten free white bread for my young son who is coeliac. I left out the seeds and instead of using potato starch I used psyllium husk for added fibre.

23. Bridget permalink
    June 24, 2013 11:16 am

I tried this last night and it didn’t rise, Sarah could it be my yeast? I keep it in the freezer in an air tight lunchbox. Or could it been the eggs as they were not quite room temp as it was cold day yesterday.

• June 27, 2013 11:31 am

Hi Bridget, Yes, could be both! I always warm my eggs by soaking them in hot water for about 10 mins. If your yeast is not fresh, it may not be as efficient – don’t throw it out, just use more. Also, if it was a cold day, you may need to prove the dough for longer. See how you go!

24. Cherryl permalink
    June 22, 2013 3:12 pm

Nearly had a disaster with this one, forgot to add the tapioca flour! had the mixture already in the tins in a warm place to rise when I was showing my husband the recipe and realised that I hadn’t added the tapioca so quickly whipped it our and did a quick remix in thermie and back in the oven. We have a weber Q so cooked the proven bread in it and how wonderful it has turned out, so crispy on the outside and light and fluffy inside, I am in love 🙂 many, many thanks

• June 27, 2013 11:31 am

That’s so funny – I do that all the time – its amazing how resilient this recipe is!!

25. Jane permalink
    June 20, 2013 8:23 pm

Followed your recipe exactly and it was heavy and not at all like your photo.This is my second attempt and its frustrating as I was looking forward to it. Milled the flour in the thermomix so maybe it wasn’t fine enough!

• June 27, 2013 11:33 am

Hi Jane

26. Jane permalink
    June 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Hi, I have just tried making this bread. Firstly the dough was wet but not a pouring consistency and mine went into a large loaf tin 1/2 filled..it’s proving at the moment. Also what temp in on your dehydrator did you use. Help please. Thank you Jane

• June 20, 2013 11:20 am

Hi Jane
      That all sounds right – it doesn’t pour but is wet like the photo. I proved it in my dehydrator at 32 deg C. My loaf tins are quite small so your large one should be perfect for the whole mix. It will double in size.

27. Anonymous permalink
    June 17, 2013 3:36 am

I really want to make this bread, but I am not sure how to do the conversions for american measurements…. the “og” measurements are what I am not sure of 🙂

• June 20, 2013 11:26 am

I don’t know what “og” is either!! do you mean “tab” which = tablespoon. “teas” = teaspoons. When making bread the best way to measure is by weight as flour & grain can change density depending on the humidity.

• Laura permalink
      June 22, 2013 5:12 pm

The ‘og’ is actually 0g (zero grams)….so the quantities are 60g – sixty grams etc. The font makes it look like a ‘o’ instead of a zero.

28. Anonymous permalink
    June 16, 2013 4:51 am

Is there a non-metric version of this recipe? I’m sure I could convert the gram measurements and the temperatures, but what are “tabs?” That doesn’t mean Tablespoons, does it?

29. June 14, 2013 8:21 pm

I tried this with all brown rice it worked out ok…not as nice as yours looks…though I did prove it in the oven at the lowest point possible since it’s a really cold day today…I found it had an almost cakey texture…will definitely try it again since its the closest thing I have to real bread for about 6 weeks 🙂 I did enjoy it very much 🙂

• June 20, 2013 11:24 am

Glad you enjoyed it but I wouldn’t think it would be cakey at all. Try proving it overnight on the bench, if its really cold weather. Slower, cooler proving will give you a denser loaf more flavourful loaf. I tend to be a bit impatient! If its a sunny day, but still cold, I often put my dough in the car to prove!!!

30. Anonymous permalink
    June 14, 2013 2:18 pm

What is the best way to store the loaf please?
    Very yummy, thank you for your recipe =)

• June 20, 2013 11:27 am

I wrap mine and keep it in the fridge or I pre slice it and keep it in the freezer.

31. Alice permalink
    June 13, 2013 2:46 pm

Is it possible to make the gluten free bread without egg

• June 20, 2013 11:27 am

I haven’t tried this yet but I will using chia seeds or gelatine. Will keep you posted..

32. June 12, 2013 6:31 am

Yum sounds divine – but can you tell me what a ‘tab’ is – how much would that weigh? We don’t have ingredients in tabs in Australia.

• June 12, 2013 6:35 am

Duh – just realised you are in Brisbane. Do you mean tablespoon? Never seen it used in that way – thought it was some weird US thing like a stick of butter!!! Feel free not to post my comment if it is way too blonde !!!

• June 20, 2013 11:29 am

lol! No question is too dumb or blonde!!

33. Anonymous permalink
    June 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Thanks! I have a six year old Coeliac and we’ve tried every commercial bread and homemade recipe over the last few months and not much is appealing to her. I will definitely try this one 😉

34. June 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Really pleased with this recipe even if I didn’t have the exact right ingredients (could not get Tapioca flour for love nor money today), only the 3rd thing I have made in my Thermie as I received it this morning – Hubby so glad I found your recipe and has been naughty and eaten 2 slices before it had a chance to cool. Thank you very much and Margaret Stratford for sharing on facebook 🙂

• June 20, 2013 11:32 am

glad you liked it and how exciting for you with your new TM!! Have a look at the rest of my blog for other recipes!!

35. Liz A permalink
    June 11, 2013 7:11 pm

I would like to ask, what dimensions is the loaf tin you used? If it makes “2 loaf tins” – I have a large sandwich loaf tin with lid that I would like to try that is 31cm long by 11cm wide by 12cm high. Trial and error so far hasn’t got me the right mix for my tin, maybe this one is it!

• June 20, 2013 11:34 am

My tins are about 30 years old and quite small – 120mm x 250mm. This makes 2. It doesn’t really matter on the tin, just don’t overfill it as it will overflow when it rises. If you have a little dough left over, pop it in a teacup or mug and cook it that way for a “roll”

• Liz A permalink
        June 29, 2015 9:40 pm

thank you! And what a cool idea for a roll 🙂

36. Anonymous permalink
    June 10, 2013 10:59 pm

I would really love to try this but my GF son is also allergic to corn … Can you suggest something I can replace the cornflour with to get a great result? Thanks. Sarah

• June 20, 2013 11:35 am

You could try using all tapioca or replace the cornflour with buckwheat

37. June 10, 2013 7:13 pm

I tried another recipe on the weekend and it was far too dense – not enough liquid, me thinks, so I’m looking forward to trying this one!! 🙂

38. Barbara permalink
    June 10, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi there, thanks for sharing..will this be ok in a bigger loaf tin as one loaf of bread?

• June 20, 2013 11:36 am

yes, but you will need to cook it for longer!

• Barbara permalink
        June 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Thanks Sarah, it was successful and big!

• June 20, 2013 5:39 pm