Miracle Flatbread and Psyllium

December 30, 2012

Grain Free Low Carb Flatbread

Grain Free Low Carb Flatbread

This is something of a miracle, this bread. Well, I call it a bread, my husband doesn’t!! If you have been steering clear of wheat, gluten, grains or carbs, for that matter, this is the closest thing you will get to bread in a while. I call it miracle bread because it is a miracle that it works out, given the ingredients and the method. I have adapted it from Maria Emmerichs book, The Art of Healthy Eating – Savory, which is really worth getting if you are interested in a grain-free and/or low carb diet. This recipe uses psyllium husk POWDER which I have mentioned in another post, so you will have to grind some down in your Thermomix or coffee grinder. The plain husk does not work. I flavour mine with garlic powder, herbs, sometimes spinach… It is open to variations, I want to try curry powder or fennel next. These can be used as a flatbread, tortilla or even pizza base. I use them to make a chicken & salad wrap or mexican burritos. Let me know what you use yours for!

60g coconut flour
2 tabs psyllium husk powder
1/2 teas salt
40g melted butter or coconut oil
1 teas baking powder
250g very hot, almost boiling water
garlic powder & herbs (optional)

Mix the dry ingredients in the TM for 5 seconds, SP 3. Add the oil & water at once and mix on SP 5 for 8 – 10 seconds. It will turn into a ball and come away from the sides of the bowl very quickly. Make sure it is well mixed.

Divide into 3 balls. Roll these balls between 2 sheets of baking paper to a thickness of 5mm. Dry fry in a pan until golden on each side. Give them a little longer than you would think as they can be a bit doughy if undercooked.

This recipe makes 3 and can easily be doubled if you want. They are very filling due to the high fibre content.

A word on Psyllium Husks.
Psyllium Husks and Powder

Psyllium Husks (Top) and Powder (Bottom)

Psyllium as we buy it here in Australia comes in husk form. It is an indigestible and valuable source of soluble dietary fibre used to help relieve constipation and IBS by maintaining regular GI transit. Some recent research is also showing it to be promising in lowering cholesterol and controlling diabetes.Psyllium is also used in gluten-free baking, where ground psyllium seed husks bind moisture and help baked goods less crumbly.

When using psyllium in this capacity, the husks need to be ground down to a powder. Otherwise it will not work.

I grind about a cups worth in my TM for 1 minute on SP 10 with a piece of paper towel stuck between the MC and lid so that the dust does not escape. Please be aware that some people are allergic to psyllium dust.

1. Glenda permalink
    June 19, 2015 10:27 am

Hi Sarah. I attended a workshop with you at Nth Lakes courtesy of Bec Cameron along with fellow Thermomix consultants. I just have to tell you that your flatbread has been a huge hit with my grandchildren. They follow a low salicylate diet & these flatbreads have been a constant in their diet these last few weeks. They absolutely love them. My daughter Kylee and I thank you enough & we now turn to your recipes for inspiration. Thank you once again Sarah.

• June 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Lovely to get your feedback, Glenda, glad you enjoyed the recipes!!

2. June 13, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi Sarah, love this bread, so versatile. Can I make batches to freeze? What is the best way to freeze? Cooked or raw, flat or ball? Thanks

• June 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Yes it freezes perfectly. Cook them and freeze them in a ziplock bag. They separate well if you don’t press them to much. They last for ages.

3. Caroline Castles permalink
    February 1, 2015 11:32 am

Hi I couldn’t find Psyllium husk in the supermarket health food isle, but i did find Psylium Husk smooth Texture with Stevia in the personal hygiene etc isle. Is this still ok to use in recipes. Thanks in advance

• February 1, 2015 1:31 pm

No, if it’s not at the supermarket you will need to go to a health food shop. It is just psyllium husk. This sounds like something to be used as a laxative.

• Kim permalink
        August 14, 2015 1:50 am

Plain psyllium is used as a laxative and can be found in that isle of a drugstore in Canada. Buy one with nothing else in there though.

4. January 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Reblogged this on Healthy me healthy kids and commented:
    Can’t wait to try this healthy, low carb, grain free recipe in our new toy!

5. Kendy permalink
    February 23, 2013 9:53 pm

I tried this recipe tonight and it is amazing!
    I used some fresh rosemary & garlic chopped through the mix.
    I have never used psyllium husk powder before, but will be sure to use it again now.
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipe. 🙂

6. Cheryl permalink
    January 1, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks Sarah for the tip about using paper between the cap and the lid when grinding the Psyllium seed husks. Great idea!

• January 2, 2013 12:54 pm

Great – glad to be of help! Stay tuned for more tips!!

• January 2, 2013 12:54 pm

You can also do this for making icing sugar

7. Robyn Bailey permalink
    December 30, 2012 9:57 pm

Do you happen to havethepsyllium husk powder recipe? Thank you for your posts

Sent from my iPad

• December 31, 2012 10:33 am

hi Robyn
      I buy the psyllium husks from the supermarket or health food shop and mill a cup at a time on SP 10 for 1 minute.They will shrink down to next to nothing!

8. December 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Thinking I could substitute psyillium for ground flaxseed?

• December 30, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi Lesley, no it won’t work, you definitely need psyllium powder.

• December 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks Sarah. Have to put my thinking cap on as to where I can get psyillium here, as I can’t say that I’ve seen it in the supermarket, like in Australia! Great recipe – love your blog posts and recipes!

• December 31, 2012 10:34 am

OK, but if you have no luck, let me know and I will send you some!

• December 31, 2012 11:04 am