Oils aint oils….

July 1, 2012

100% Essential oils

I am so excited to receive my Tanah Essential Oil order in the mail this week.

I sourced this wonderful oil recently to use instead of vanilla extract as I found out that extract has sugar & preservative added – something which a few people I know cannot have – and I bought a tiny vial to test it in some recipes a few months ago. Well, that vial went quick smart and I reordered a super-duper bottle which should last me a year!! I also bought some cinnamon bark and lemon oil as one can never get enough of either!! I use the cinnamon oil for a much more intense cinnamon hit, usually in conjunction with the ground powder as they contrast in flavour – I use it all the time!! And the lemon oil, well…., who doesn’t love lemons?!

100% Essential oils can be used in cooking as long as the actual plant source is not toxic, but please remember that they are an extremely concentrated form of flavouring and one or two drops in a recipe is sufficient.

I now use 2 drops of Vanilla oil wherever a recipe calls for vanilla and find that it is much more potent than using the real pod, although the tiny flecks of vanilla through a custard are very pretty.

I also use cinnamon oil wherever a recipe calls for cinnamon especially for an infusion, such as sugar syrup or custard. And when I am craving cinnamon, I make cinnamon biscuits  with a double dose of dry cinnamon and 2 drops of oil (or 3!) If you buy some, make sure that it is cinnamon BARK oil and not cinnamon LEAF oil. They are very very different and have completely different properties. Cinnamon leaf oil is very antiseptic and almost mentholated, not good for cooking with.

Being allergic to fragrance, I cannot tolerate air fresheners or spray so I usually use a natural citrus deodoriser. Now I have made my own and it is much much cheaper. Grab a spray bottle, add 200 ml of filtered water, 20ml Vodka (optional but it does help to emulsify) and 20 drops each of lemon/lime oil. Shake up and use when required.

Of course, essential oils have many different health giving properties, for a general list, see here.

(This is not an ad – paid or otherwise – I just love this Queensland product!)

1. February 26, 2016 3:13 pm

Clearly this is an advert

• February 28, 2016 7:08 am

Clearly you have not read the last sentence in this post!

2. Chris Davies permalink
    July 3, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi Sarah, are you sure they are food grade oils? I can’t find anywhere in their ‘shop’ that says as such. Looks to me like they use them for aromatherapy.

• July 3, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi Chris
      Yes, these oils are marketed for aromatherapy but as they are pure essential oils, they are fine for flavouring. Essential oils are graded into A,B & C and food grade oils are actually in the A & B class. C class oils usually have synthetic chemicals added to extend or bulk out the oil and are not pure. Any oil that is 100% pure, that has been distilled without chemical extraction is OK for consumption in minute doses of course. I have looked at oils marketed as food grade and they are exactly the same but 5 times the price. I am happy to use these in my own cooking but would insist on you using your own discretion. Have a look at:http://stores.ebay.com.au/gaiacraft/Tanah-Essential-Oils.html and http://www.squidoo.com/cc or http://younglivingcircle.com/Cooking-Use.php . Cheers

3. Natural New Age Mum permalink
    July 1, 2012 4:04 pm

oooh I didn’t know you could get vanilla oil – I have used peppermint and lemon in cooking ! yum and the cinnamon would be amazing too – thanks for the heads up!

• July 1, 2012 4:07 pm

Have a look at the Gaia shop online. They are very reasonably priced and always prompt with posting. I didnt seek their permission to talk about their product, I hope they dont mind!!

• Natural New Age Mum permalink
        July 1, 2012 4:29 pm

I am sure they won’t, seeing you gave them a good review!

4. July 1, 2012 4:01 pm

This is very informative, guess I learned something new today 🙂

Trackbacks