GET sum PORK on ya FORK!

March 29, 2012

Crispy Skin Roast Pork Belly

What a good slogan that was! A catchy phrase with rude connotations was ingrained in most of us who watched afternoon TV in the early 80’s. Yes, it WAS that long ago!!

As promised, here is your pictorial masterclass on how to get the moistest roast pork with crunchy crackling! After dinner tonight, there was plenty of lip smacking and quiet satisfaction that this little black duck has started eating meat again!!

With my free-range pesticide free pork belly, I steamed and roasted it, salted and observed, and came up with this. Even I thought it was pretty good….

Unwrap your pork and leave it in the fridge overnight, uncovered, to dry out. Sprinkle it with salt beforehand.

Raw pork belly ready to steam

Steam for 1 hour on VAROMA temp, speed 2. I used 1200g water.

Steamed for 1 hour

Sprinkle liberally with salt and roast in a pan in a HOT oven (250°C) for 25 mins. I place the belly on a couple of tomatoes and added 100ml water to the pan to stop the meat from burning.

Because it was gently steamed, the meat is succulent and moist and sweet. It is really unusual of me not to add any herbs or spices, nor pepper – I wanted to get the true flavour of this pastured free-range meat. I think it would be good with fresh thyme, cracked coriander or juniper or even anise would give it an Asian edge.  I served it with braised apple & sauerkraut & roasted kipflers. Mmm!

(Apologies for the blurred pics)

1. December 25, 2012 3:15 am

Great post, Sarah, as always!

Thanks for the reference on your blog post, Sonia! Great timing!

2. Natural New Age Mum permalink
    April 8, 2012 6:03 pm

Oh, it’s on my facebook page! Think I tagged you?

3. Natural New Age Mum permalink
    April 8, 2012 2:47 pm

okay, roast done, delish! I had a leg of pork and by half way through cooking time, it had pushed the varoma lid off, so I just wrapped it up well in alfoil. It needed about 45 mins in the hot oven to cook through… it was really good though and yes, very moist because of the steaming… thanks so much for the recipe Sarah – and another use for my thermomix !🙂 Sonia (PS picture up on my facebook page)

• April 8, 2012 6:02 pm

I checked but couldnt find it on your site – cant wait to see it – let me know when you put it up. SO glad you gave it a go. Easy, yes?! Thanks Sonia..x

4. naturalnewagemum permalink
    March 30, 2012 10:07 am

OMG ! this is amazing – I have a beautiful piece of organic pork for Easter… I am going to try this… my kids go crazy for crackling and pork! …. and yes, I am showing my age as I remember those ads… I still say it ! Sonia🙂

• March 30, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi Sonia

Take a pic and show me when its done!!! Hope the kids like it!!

• Natural New Age Mum permalink
        March 30, 2012 7:10 pm

will do ! Gosh they hate having to wait for their dinner while I take photos !! LOL😀

• March 31, 2012 7:37 pm

Yes, it is a running joke in my house about photo taking!

1. A Healthy, Wholefood Christmas - Natural New Age Mum