Baking with Coconut Flour

February 2, 2012

Arggh!! I spent a good part of the day today experimenting with coconut flour… lots of trial & error.. I was set a mission by a friend, who has quite severe dietary intolerances to find her a yummy muffin recipe.

I played around with many recipes sourced from the net and here is what I learnt:

• Coconut flour is highly absorbable so it needs plenty of liquid in the batter.
  • Most of the recipes I found had a high egg content, which will suit some but not others.
  • A little bit goes a long way.
  • Although my results were still light, the texture is still quite dense not spongy or airy.
  • It is surprisingly not overpowering in flavour.

I tried about 4 or 5 recipes and consequently, ran out of eggs! I experimented with chia gel, something which I unearthed on my coconut flour adventure! You can read about that here soon. This recipe is a culmination of a few and makes 6 muffins.

This yummy recipe will not rise like a traditional flour muffin. It may puff up and deflate a little in the cooling but it makes a perfect canvas for some cream!  Don’t be tempted to use the whole banana as it affects the texture – I add it for a bit of fibre & natural sugar. I guess you could substitute it with a few dates. Try it and let me know.

And my sugar-free Paleo friend, whom I am seeing tomorrow, will not be without her special treat!

Blueberry & Banana Muffins

3 eggs

50g oil or melted butter

½ teas vanilla

pinch of salt

60g sugar (I used  6 stevia tablets & 1 teas honey)

½ teas baking powder

30g water or nut milk

½ banana

30g coconut flour

1 punnet blueberries

Mill the sugar (if using sugar) on SP 10, 8 seconds. Add eggs, oil, vanilla, salt, baking powder, banana & water/milk and mix on SP 6, for 5 seconds.

Add the flour and mix on SP 4 until combined. Carefully stir through the blueberries and bake in muffin cases for 15 minutes.

1. January 2, 2013 1:14 am

Thanks for this post. I’ve had utter disasters using coconut flour and was thinking of researching the problem…but you did for me! 🙂

2. Coralie permalink
    March 4, 2012 9:07 pm

How do u make coconut flour?

• March 5, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi Coralie
      I normally buy my coconut flour from the healthfood shop but it is very easy to make if you have a Thermomix. When I make coconut milk from fresh coconut, the left over solids (channa) are dried in the oven. Then I mill them to make coconut flour. stay tuned and I will post about it!

3. March 4, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks for doing the hard work for us, Sarah – these are great!! Just got them out of the oven and I don’t think they’ll last long, even though I made a double batch!! 😀

4. Rachael Osypiv permalink
    February 9, 2012 3:15 pm

Smiling and salivating!!! 😀

5. Rachael Osypiv permalink
    February 9, 2012 1:49 pm

They were beautiful! I didn’t know that you went to so much effort to reach that recipe! You are beautiful! I can’t wait to make these again!! Big Thank you :~))

• February 9, 2012 3:05 pm

Rachael, you are very welcome – just wait till you try my new improved Paleo bread!!

Trackbacks