Thermomix Recipe of the Year!

January 28, 2012

Making the Magic Bean chocolate cakes in a Clever Cook Bake class

Oh, I am sooo proud!! Last year – 2011, I won recipe of the year for a recipe that I put up on the Thermomix Recipe Community. It is a great resource for both owners & non owners, written by Consultants and customers alike sharing their recipes online. The recipe scored over 9000 hits in 3 months!! Wow, who could have imagined!

The Magic Bean cake is gluten-free AND nut free and came about as I was wanting to cook a cake for a friend who was both GF & NF and couldnt find anything that was one without the other. I first started using besan flour (this was pre-TM) and was adding heaps of water to reconstitute it and then had a “light bulb” moment and used canned beans! The recipe CAN be dairy free as well if you use olive oil or ghee instead of butter. I have posted the recipe below or you can visit here to see my other Recipe community posts.

420 g kidney beans  canned drained

1 tablespoon water or coffee

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

70 g unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon GF baking powder

1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

125 g Butter OR oil

5  eggs

180 g sugar

Kidney beans in my cake

In your TM puree the beans, water/coffee, I egg and vanilla until smooth. SP 7. Set aside.

Beat the butter and sugar SP 5 30 seconds

Add the remaining eggs & beat for 20 seconds SP 4.

Add bean mixture SP 4 5 seconds.

Add the cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and blend SP 4 10 seconds.

Pour batter into greased ring tin pan and bake MOD oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Enjoy!

1. Elise permalink
    July 21, 2016 8:27 pm

Could I reduce the sugar please?

2. Joan permalink
    January 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Have just made this Sarah…….. you are indeed a clever cook!

3. March 22, 2013 5:26 pm

I just love this cake being wheat intolorent but have no thermomix , is there a recipe for a normal blender and mixer please. Thanks j

• March 24, 2013 11:28 am

Jo, this recipe, is pretty much failproof. I would put the beans in a food processor and blend until smooth, then add all the other ingredients to mix well. See how you go!

4. cathy permalink
    March 9, 2013 12:46 pm

I forgot to mention – I cook it at 180 for 50 mins and I do a double batch – they keep so well and freeze beautifully

• March 9, 2013 2:21 pm

hi Cathy

Thanks so much for your feedback. I am always keen to hear how people go with the recipes and what adaptions they may make. Your comment just shows how versatile YOU are!! Keep on enjoying cooking!!

5. February 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Greetings from Idaho! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I love the information you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile .. I’m not even
    using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, fantastic blog!

6. July 10, 2012 7:13 pm

It’s great that there are Thermomix recipes all over the internet and even books that can be bought. That’s one of the first things I did before buying a Thermomix, I checked out some of the things you can make with the machine and I wasn’t disappointed.

7. cathy permalink
    June 25, 2012 10:14 pm

I have made this and shared the recipe. Just FABULOUS!

I am going to tweak it by reducing the sugar a bit but substituting dates and also by halving the butter and substituting apple. Will see how it goes.

• June 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Cathy
      I await your outcome with anticipation!! Please let me know how you go!!

• cathy permalink
        August 16, 2012 9:51 am

With all dates subbed it is a bit ‘dark chocolate’ – the kids love it, the husband whinges. So I sub 130g dates and 50g raw sugar – beautiful! If I want to make brownies I just leave the bicarb out as another variation. I have had a friend who makes this with lemon and coconut and it works – I am goint to do a ‘whole orange’ version – will leave the cocoa in and make a jaffa cake – will prob add some coconut to take up some liquid.

• August 16, 2012 6:50 pm

Fabulous ideas! I do have an orange version on the thermomix recipe community website. Check it out!!

• cathy permalink
        March 9, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi Sarah – I make your fabulous cake ALL the time. In fact I am making it today as a request to take it to a birthday party – for a grown man!

I find it simply foolproof – it works from 3-5 eggs. With or without coffee/vanilla. I often reduce the sugar and then sub half with dates. I also use 40-70g cocoa and it always works. I have subbed all with dates and it works well – more like a brownie. I have also made a banana/coconut and cranberry version that was made into cupcakes and frozen and sent to school. I reduced the eggs to 3, changed the beans to butter beans, added coconut, left out coffee and cocoa and then added coconut and cranberries. It works really well as a banana cake and is one I will try again. A friend makes a ‘failsafe’ lemon and cocnut version with citric acid too.

Thankyou so muck for this recipe – it really is spectacular and a very worthy winner!

8. January 30, 2012 8:34 am

Wow! Another bean baker! I’ve been experimenting with white navy beans and was wondering about using other kinds of bean. I’m going to try this!

• January 30, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi Claire
      Tell me how you go – I have another version of this cake coming that uses navy beans and ORANGE!! I’ll keep you posted!

• Karen F permalink
        May 31, 2012 6:24 pm

This recipe was all you promised and more! Thank you for sharing this beautiful moist delight! I would be super keen to see the orange cake if it has come out of the trial kitchen 😉 thanks again. Karen

Trackbacks